Thursday, November 21, 2013
Alex's newest mittens
So what is a knitting mom to do when there is a sudden snap of unseasonably cold weather? Knit a new pair. I know the fastest thing would have been to knit a replacement, but I used up the majority of the left-overs from the last pair knitting these and this, so I would have needed to buy a brand new skein. It was easier and more thrifty to simply pull out partial skeins from my stash and knit something brand new. Alex had also said once or twice that his hands were still cold on the bitterly cold mornings walking to school, so I decided that a little colorwork should do the trick.
And as you can see here, I took the time to attach buttons to the back of the cuff. This is a feature on all of Alex's mittens. That way I can attach them to a cord inside his coat so when he quickly takes his mittens off (and drops them on the floor) they'll just swing from the cord coming out of his sleeves. Having them attached by buttons and loops allows me to wash them while leaving the cord inside the coat. If you've put a cord inside a coat, you know that the cord slips down their back and hangs too far out of the sleeves. The answer to this is to put the cord through the loop inside the coat (the loop you hang the coat from). But if you've ever tried to slip a mitten through the little loop on the inside of the coat, you'll know that it's impossible.
Normally I'd knit a matching red cord bit I was in a pinch this morning so I used the cord from his last set of mittens. No point wasting it. And these buttons were reclaimed buttons that I purchased (3 to a card) from Katrina at one of the various local fiber festivals I've attended. She's got an Etsy shop and makes stunning bamboo buttons that have even been featured in Interweave Magazine (or was it Vogue...you get the idea...it was a big deal). You may recognize her name from when I used her anchor buttons on Alex's red sweater.
at 6:36 AM