What's on the Menu.....

Blog space Collections space Etsy space Ravelry space Facebook space TweetTweet space Get In Touch

Thursday, November 14, 2013

In which things start to look more rosy

First of all, Dante's old iPod was both the best and worst thing to recently happen to me, lol.  It's just do darn fast to take a photo and upload it to any site I choose, but the photo quality is lousy.  I just can't be bothered to find the charger for the camera and my photo quality on the blog has definitely suffered, but I believe that once I get everything put back where it goes, I'll happen upon it and then I promise that photo quality will go up.  Until then, gaze upon the adorable face of my youngest, wearing a new color-block hat I whipped up out of partial skeins of Malabrigo Rios.  The purple was from a hat that my friend Denise knit, and the rest is left over from two hats that I knit for Jim. 

I love the Rios because it's beautiful, soft, warm, and this yarn actually stay put on my head!  I've got a lot (LOT!!) of hair and it's very curly so it's everywhere, but it's also very soft so hats slip right off if I have my hair down or if it's pulled into a messy ponytail (which it often is), and so I have a very hard time keeping a hat on my head.  I have to pull it all the way down to my eyebrows, where other girls can let their bangs show.  This yarn lets me show a little of my hair so I can rock a look that says "I'm a girl" without worrying that the hat will drop off behind me as I go about my business.  I almost bought a skein to knit myself a hat but then I decided to see if I could use up what I had.  None of the skeins really went together so I decided to take someone's suggestion and try color blocking. 

If I were to do it all over again, I'd put the purple in the middle but I really wanted a bright color next to my face.  There isn't much contrast between the two blues (it shows better in person), but I've still gotten several compliments on it.  Kim even told me I should write up the pattern (I'll get right on that...). 

Meanwhile, I've been working on a new pair of mittens for Alex.  I have to replace the one he lost and I don't have enough of that yarn left over (I did, but I used it on other stuff...you know how that goes) so instead of buying another skein and being stuck with a bunch left over again, I decided to go another way.  I'm making him some stranded mittens in the hope that they will be extra toasty.  It was only 20 degrees F the other morning and it's not even winter yet!  This has been the coldest November I can remember in all the years I've lived here, and these mittens need to be really warm.  I'm even thinking of knitting an inner liner mitten so he doesn't catch his little fingers in the floats, but we'll see how far I get on that.  And there could be a matching hat as well but you know...

Finally, I decided to take a look at an upcoming pattern that was fresh from my tech editor (or at least it was fresh three weeks ago when she emailed it back to me).  All of the numbers look good and most of the issues were with the formatting.  Word did something crazy with my format and I can fix that.  I've even gone so far as to schedule a photo shoot, so look for a new pattern from Cambria Washington in time for last minute Christmas knitting!  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment